Thursday, December 15, 2005

Under the wrecking ball

I drove past the old Winnipeg Arena on my way to work this morning. Demolition efforts are well under way. Most of the North end of the building is now fully open and exposed to the elements.

I'm not going to lose a lot of tears over this one - to say that our new downtown arena is an improvement is a massive understatement. But it did make me stop for a moment and think of all the concerts and Winnipeg Jets games I'd been to over the years. At no point in the future will I be able to stroll it's hallowed halls and reminisce about the Jets' White Outs, 50/50 tickets, and urinating into troughs.

One last go at the Winnipeg Arena Urinal Trough. 2004. From left: "Big Ern" Bazylewski, Donovan Yaciuk, Scott Bazylewski, Spencer Sutton.

The backdrop for all those memories is now gone.

Currently playing: America - Horse With No Name
Percentage of Christmas shopping complete: 93.33%

No comments: