Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A dream come true!

Today is a day I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I've been colouring comic books for just over a decade now. It's a huge thrill for me to be able to work on books that come out in print and sell thousands of copies every year! (The last book I worked sold over 3,000 copies in the first month!).

Perhaps I set my sights too low, but I've been very blessed in life to have achieved most every goal I've really set my mind on. Learning a musical instrument. Playing in a band. Recording two full length CDs. And seeing my name in the credits of a comic book. Here's a scan from Chronicles of Conan vol 17, published by Dark Horse Comics! I'm credited right next to Jim Shooter, nonetheless!

Anyone who knew me as a young boy knew I was a Marvel Zombie. So as awesome as Dark Horse's Conan series is, I've held a longstanding dream to see my name in print in a book from Marvel Comics. While I have worked on projects for Marvel for the last 5 years, my work is usually credited to the company name of the collective of talented colourists I work with - the way it should be!

Well, today, Marvel released a beautiful, 1168 page hardcover tome collecting Secret Wars II - a Limited Series that I became obsessed with as a 10 year old boy that sparked my love for comics. It holds a special place in my heart, and to this day I can pick up an issue of this series and I'm instantly back in the summer of 1985. I had some friends and colleagues go to bat for me to see if I could participate in the colour reconstruction, but alas it wasn't to be.

Thankfully, I had 'invested' in some original art from the series over the years, and Marvel found room to reproduce them in this collected edition. So guess what happens to appear on the credits page?

My name! My most sincere thanks to Wil Glass, Cory Sedlmeier, and Mark Beazley for playing a role in making this happen! Today is a day I'll remember for the rest of my life. My name, in a Marvel book. Scratch that... my name, in the DEFINITIVE hardcover collection of my FAVOURITE Marvel series! The ten year old inside of me is giddy with delight! Currently playing: Stan Bush - Dare Proudly in my fourth Cola free year!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Way to go buddy!

Moser said...

OMG.

Is that the REAL Ralph Macchio?!?