Monday, May 04, 2009

Mike Kowal

Pop Goes The World.

Every time I hear that song by Men Without Hats, I think of a cold winter day in 1987. My best friend, Robin Kowal and I spent the afternoon running around the upstairs of his Brown Avenue home, being chased by his dog Odie. The dog had a serious case of ADHD, and we ended up getting the dog pretty excited.

Robin's brother, Mike, who was around 17 at the time, had no patience for the tomfoolery of 12 year old children, and came upstairs hollering at us for disturbing his peace. He took off after Robin, and I hid under a desk in another room. Pop Goes The World was on the radio, and listening to it took my mind off of the verbal thrashing Mike was dispensing on Robin.

Without warning, the door to the room that served as my hiding place flew open. Mike grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and threw me out the front door of their house, the sound of the slamming door coincided with my rear hitting the ground. A split second later, the door opened again, and I watched as Mike's hand threw my jacket at my giggling face.

Mike moved away to University the next year, so from that point on, I'd always felt like his little brother's annoying friend around him. He never made me feel that way, but after provoking his anger that afternoon, I was always a little afraid of seeing the full wrath of his fury.

About 7 or 8 years later, I too was in University, during a particularly tumultuous time in my life. I was watching a band called the See Monkeys at the University Center, and lo and behold, Mike Kowal was the band's guitarist!

Despite having never mended the fence after the Pop Goes The World incident, I walked up to him after the show, reintroduced myself, and told him how much I enjoyed the show. Fully expecting to be brushed off as if I was the same annoying 12 year old pest from 1987, I braced myself for the worst. I was instead shocked to find myself carrying on a conversation with my alleged adversary about music, his gear (I was learning the drums at that point in my life!) and life in a band. I guess he didn't hate me after all!

Although I'll admit, I did flinch at the end of the conversation, when Mike extended his hand to shake mine in farewell. The man I was once so afraid of turned out to be a really good guy to talk with!

Mike Kowal passed away last week, after a decade-and-a-half long battle with Cancer. He more than earned his rest after a long and courageous battle. Cancer picked a tenacious dance partner in Michael, and he rose to the challenge, putting up a tremendous fight. I know his endurance and steadfast refusal to back down will always be an inspiration to me.

I just wanted to pay tribute by sharing two of my favourite memories of Michael, my best friend's brother, who unknowingly played a huge influence in my musical tastes. He was quite a few years older than me, so we weren't great acquaintances or friends, but through him and his record collection in the basement that I wasn't allowed to touch but did anyway, I was introduced to a large number of bands and artists that continue to influence my musical tastes today.

And knowing Michael's musical integrity, I think he'd cringe at being mentioned in the same sentence as the Men Without Hats. I'm sorry, Michael, and I'll apologize in person when I reach the other side!

Currently playing: Danny Wilson - Mary's Prayer
Currently colouring: A yet to be solicited project for Dark Horse Comics!
Proudly in my fourth Cola free year!

No comments: