Thursday, October 07, 2010

Spell check CAN make you hugenormousely smarter!

Some people stuck in the last century criticize things like spell check, claiming that they are preventing us from learning how spelling works through hard work and practice.

You know, the way us thirtysomethings did back during the Cold War!

Well today, it actually made me smarter! For years, I thought "ginormous" was a made up word, amalgamating "gigantic" and "enormous". Turns out it's been in the dictionary since 2007, nearly 60 years after it arose as a slang word by British Troops in World War II.

How would I have known that without spell check!

Now that it's been legitimized, I'll need to find a new amalgamation of synonyms with which to amuse myself with in it's place.

I think I'll start using 'hugenormous', although 'enormonstrous', or 'heftuge' are pretty good too...

Currently playing: Peter Gabriel - Big Time
Currently colouring: An upcoming book for Dark Horse Comics!
Proudly in my fifth Cola free year!

No comments: