Thursday, March 16, 2006

I am a beaten and defeated man

Now that we've finally got BOTH of our computers hooked up to the interweb, Cat and I are once again able to compete against each other in the MSN Minesweeper arena.

(For the uninitiated, MSN Messenger is an online chat application, where you can type messages to your friends, expose yourself via webcam, or in this case, play games such as Checkers or Minesweeper.)

Before we got married, Cat and I played Minesweeper for a good 4 hours a week. Looking back on all the games we've been hooked on over the years (Electronic Battleship, Air Hockey, Bust-a-Move, Midnight Club 3, Who Stole the Kishka) I've come to realize that my wife is a shark. The following pattern has made itself evident.

She'll quietly let me win the first two games. The first 20-40 seconds of the third game, she'll give me the illusion that our skills are close to being even. The fourth game, she'll almost let me think that I have a chance. From that point on, the pedal is to the metal, and it's Cat all the way.

It's gotten to the point where she's no longer content to simply win. She now has to see to it that I don't even register a single point.I want to warn you all now. If ever you come over, and Cat invites you to engage in any form of competitive recreational game, head for the nearest exit. Don't worry about your coat or baby - I'll mail them to you. I won't have the blood of yet another ego on my hands.

Cat has evolved into a remorseless, Minesweeping machine, who won't be stopped until your pants are drenched in your own tears. Not that I'm wearing any - we all know who wears the pants when it comes to games in this marriage.

Currently playing: Alexei Sayle - Didn't You Kill My Brother?

3 comments:

Donovan Yaciuk said...

Your falling into her sharking web! Give it three of four more games! The moment you let your guard down, she'll make her move - you'll never catch up!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't aware that people still played minesweeper.

The shadow... said...

I tried to make Donovan a master of the video game. Three grueling months of training later, all I had to show for my efforts was a painted fence, a sanded deck, and 5 waxed cars.