Friday, January 09, 2009

I'm becoming trapped in the balloon!!!

As some of you may know, I have a side career as a comic book colourist. Part of my specialty is restoring old comics from the 1960s for reprinting in the Marvel Masterworks series. As such, I see a LOT of old comics in the course of a year.

Some may disagree with my assessment, but a lot of comics from that era didn't really seem to have found the proper way to tell a story using words and art together in unison. At times, the words in the balloons (how's THAT for foreshadowing!!!) are irrelevant. Case in point:
The first word balloon is completely unnecessary. Whatever sinister device he's got in his mitts, we can tell from the drawing that he's already "pointing it at that car", ready to "push the control lever". Does he have to SAY IT?

I'm hitting enter, to start a new paragraph in my blog! Continuing to type, I say, that's just redundant!

Well, I was reminded of this after I saw the YouTube video posted below that has me rolling on the floor, laughing out loud this afternoon! I think this guy has read too many Silver Age Marvel Comics - he's commentating his own death!

(The half minute or so from 1:10 - 1:40 is the highlight!)

Listen to the sheer, unbridled panic in his voice, when he utters, "Oh Great! I'm becoming trapped in the balloon!"


If Steve Ditko had illustrated a story in Tales of Suspense titled "I'm becoming trapped in... THE BALLOON!", you can be sure Stan Lee would have scripted the dialog that corresponds exactly to what is said in the video.Some of my favourite quotes:
"Okay, this is my second attempt..." I'd love to see what happened the FIRST time!
"We'll, my head's inside!"
Gee, you THINK!
"Darn it! That's the last thing I need now!"
If the worst thing in your life is a shrinking balloon, you're life can't be all that bad.
"Oh great! I'm becoming trapped in the balloon!!!"
BECOMING?!?! Take off the rose coloured glasses, man. You ARE trapped!
"I can still breathe!" Great! Now that you've wasted precious seconds saying that, how about moving on to step 2 - GET OUT OF THE FREAKING BALLOON!!!
"How do I get OUT of this balloon!"
Finally, the million dollar question!

I'm not sure if I should make fun of this guy, or if he should be my hero. It's a safe bet that someone who has the time to videotape himself climbing into a giant balloon has never had any physical contact with a female that can't be filed under "accidental". That being said, he obviously loves balloons, and climbing into things, so if he can combine the two and live a lifestyle he enjoys (albeit, without romance or human contact), that's to be admired, I suppose!

Currently playing: Orphan - That's the Way It Should Be
Currently colouring: Marvel Masterworks: CLASSIFIED!
Proudly in my third Cola free year!

No comments: