Wednesday, February 22, 2006

6,076 days of abstinence

Hey, have you guys ever heard of that television programme's called "Seinfeld"? The show premiered over half my life ago, on July 5, 1989. Believe it of not, in the 6,076 days that have followed, I've stayed Seinfeld free. Yes, this show that defined the comedic sensibilities of my generation, and at most, I'd never seen more than 5 minutes of an episode.

Utter blasphemy.

I'll admit that I've avoided Seinfeld for a fairly petty reason - those interstitial bass lines that indicate that the programme is switching scenes. There is something incredibly annoying about those transitions that forced me to turn the channel every time they began.

Armed with that petty dislike of the bass guitar, I've spent the last 15 and a half years being the ONLY person to have not seen an episode of Seinfeld.

Well, all of that changed last night. I managed to catch an entire show.

Now, before you staple me to the wall, let me tell you that it's not like I haven't TRIED to catch an episode in the past. But in an odd twist of fate, every time I came across the show, Seinfeld was sitting in a limousine talking to a neo-nazi. It's very odd, but I've stumbled across that particular scene 5 times. The first three times, I just figured he talked to Neo-nazi's in every episode. Yes, I'm not too bright sometimes.

(In a similar story, every time I come across The Littlest Hobo, it's ALWAYS the episode where the Littlest Hobo lands a Cessna aircraft after the pilot has a heart attack. I kid you not, this actually happened. I wonder why the show was cancelled?)

So there you have it. My streak of 6,076 Seinfeld free days comes to an end. The episode I witnessed in full was the one where an engaged Kastanza finds out he is Marisa Tomei's type, and he asks a bedridden acquaintance to introduce him to her. The real kicker is that, even though I sat through (and admittedly enjoyed) an entire episode, bass lines and all, the show ended with a big "to be continued" splayed across the screen in big bold white letters...

I suppose I could have watched the second part (which was televised tonight), but I'd rather type into this blog. Plus, this way, I can still lay claim to never seeing an entire Seinfeld STORYLINE.

I'm so petty.

Currently playing: Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Currently colouring: Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men vol.6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't the Littlest Hobo once show up on that 'Dukes of Hazzard'/'Planet of the Apes' crossover show?