Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rock the Cashbar

Growing up in Manitoba, you spend around 7% of your pre-tax income on wedding socials, which in it's simplest form, is a fundraiser for an engaged couple.

Wikipedia lists the following: In the Canadian province of Manitoba, a "social" is a fund raising party (for a wedding, non-profit organisation, charity, or some other worthy cause). It is also known as a Manitoba Social. Typically, they will include music (current popular music for the youth and "oldies" music older adults), dancing, food, raffles (and other fund raising games). When held in support of a wedding, often they are used as a way to shake down some details of the wedding (e.g., letting the bride try a hair style, practicing dancing, etc.)

Oh, and there's also a cashbar.

The Clash's hit song, "Rock The Casbah" was often played at these gatherings. It's the only place I'd ever heard the song, and was usually intoxicated. So you'll forgive me if, for years, I seriously thought that the song was called "Rock the Cashbar".
I think I actually almost got into a fistfight once, with a gentleman in a smelly Dead Kennedys shirt over what was actually being sung in the song's chorus. I mean, a song about a Casbah?

Yeah. Right.

Turns out Smelly Dead Kennedys Shirt-Man was correct. No cashbars were injured or mentioned during the recording of that track.

My mistake. I'll let go of that one.

However, I will NOT let go of my belief that the world would be a better place if there WERE a song detailing the Rocking of Cashbars.

If someone else doesn't write one soon, I may have to take this matter into my own hands.

If you're not familiar with the classic Clash tune referenced above, I present it to you below.


Currently playing - The Sex Pistols - Submission
Proudly entering my second Cola free year!

No comments: