Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Unpatriotic Side.

Well, as happens every year end, the World Junior Hockey Championship occurs, and fellow hockey nuts across this great country of ours are glued to their television sets.

Everyone but me.

I think I'm the only red blooded hockey fan who couldn't be bothered watching this. After getting over their initial surprise, and then disgust at my lack of excitement, fans of the tournament throw the same points in my face.

Point #1: World Juniors is the best hockey in the world. What's the matter with you?
I disagree. For my money, the NHL is where it's at. Part of the excitement is the extended campaign through the winter months, spiced up with the long term effects of injuries, illnesses and trades, and the presence of franchise players, personalities, and most importantly, rivalries.

The World Juniors has none of that, and for me, that's some of the best part of hockey.

Point #2: Okay, NHL lover, don't you realize these guys will be in the NHL one day?
Yep. Can't deny that. Some kids playing Tim Horton's Timbit's hockey in between periods at Manitoba Moose games could make the NHL someday too. Seriously, look at the photo of some of the players at the top of this blog post. Children.

I'll wait until these kids grow into men and make the big scene, thank you very much.

Point #3: The skill level is incredible.
Another point I can't deny. I suppose I just like watching a group of guys playing a system as a well rehearsed and oiled team, rather than just some great individual efforts.

This comment is mostly directed towards teams that Canada faces.

Point #4: Don't you like cheering for your country?
I'm a proud Canadian. Why, just last weekend I plunked half of a Sir Robert Borden on books about Canadian History. I love this country.

But cheering for Canada at the World Juniors is as exciting as watching ice melting in an oven. Sure things happen real quick, but you pretty much know what's going to happen in the end! Canada has won the last 4 tournaments, and we all know who is going to win this time around too.

The fact that Canada is going for a five-peat has pretty much sucked the excitement out of things for me. There is absolutely no challenge. No sense of danger or urgency. In the first two games of the tournament, Canada has outscored the other teams 23-1. The last game against Kazakhstan was a 15-0 shutout.

Yeah the World Junior Championship is great chance to be patriotic, if your idea of pride is stealing candy from babies. But as far as the game goes, there is absolutely nothing in this tournament to hold my interest. I was born after the 1972 Summit Series, but from what I've seen and heard, THAT'S something to get excited and patriotic for.

Real competition. Real stakes. Real emotions.

The Goal Heard Around The World.

Not shooting fish in a barrel.

Currently playing: Prism - Cover Girl
Currently colouring: Marvel Masterworks: CLASSIFIED!
Proudly in my third Cola free year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never been interested in hockey at all. At 48 years old, I went to my first NHL game last month and now I'm HOOKED! I never imagined how exciting it could be. I love it! I went to another game last Friday (Kings v. Coyotes) and I'll be getting tickets to see Anaheim v. Calgary tomorrow.