Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The most fun I've ever had at Bomber Stadium.

Some days, I surprise even myself.

Today on my lunch break, I stopped in at the office of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football club to drop something off for someone. I guess the Bombers were having a practice or something, as there was about 15-20 teenagers hanging out around the front doors, waiting to catch a glimpse of the players.

As my business concluded, I left the building to see a 6'18" TANK of a man finish signing a football. The teens who got their football signed turned and watched the human tank drive away in his Hummer, and swiveled back to the Bombers office entrance, JUST as I was exiting.

Now, at 5'10" tall, I'm barely physically qualified to be the team's water boy, so there was an awkward 1/1000th of a second where the kids sized me up, trying to figure out which Bomber I was.

Before anyone had a chance to think, their fat marker was in my hand. I cockily pulled the cap off with my teeth, and let it hang on my lips while I grabbed the football out of the kid's hand and signed my name to it in a confident, exaggerated motion.

Their excitement was palpable! Another (assumed) famous athlete was signing their ball!

Noticing that I was autographing stuff, another group of teens began to advance as I finished marking the first football with my name. Now, I'm not stupid. At some moment, a whole gang of gigantic, muscled football players who are fully aware that their teammates don't look like me were about to come out the same doors I did and sack me. Needing a quick exit, I raised my hands up to block them and quietly muttered, "Not today, boys".

And in a flash, I was gone.

With all due respect to the action on the field, that was probably the most fun I'd ever had at Bomber Stadium!
Currently playing: The Joker - The Steve Miller Band
Proudly in my fourth Cola free year!

No comments: